KEY FACTS ABOUT MICE TOURISM IN SRI LANKA
- The MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Events) industry in the Sri Lanka tourism sector became a $ 177 million worth industry in the year 2013 with 94% of the total revenue being generated by international MICE events.
- The MICE industry which accounts for 10% of the total tourist arrivals at present, this will increase in the near future to become a significant player in the tourism industry.
- MICE tourism has several components and the country gets sufficient numbers in the small meeting as well as incentive categories. However, the Sri Lankan tourism authority is highly involved to increase the MICE market share from the total tourism arrival.
- Sri Lankan Airlines as the national career, is also actively involved in the expansion of Sri Lanka’s MICE industry at a time when the country is increasingly receiving global attention.
- New hotels are coming with international brands, to cater the corporate segment, also enabling to accommodate larger volume of MICE tourists.